Big Industry, Big Opportunity
The printing and graphics industry in Canada is large and complex. Our extensive and proprietary databases show that more than 9,000 establishments operate in Canada, more, in fact, than any other manufacturing industry.
KEY STATISTICS ABOUT THE PRINTING INDUSTRY:
- Combined sales for those 9,000 establishments exceeds $9 billion
- The industry employs more than 60,000 individuals
- Consolidation has been a significant trend over the last few years and will continue for the foreseeable future
- Around 5,000 printing companies operate in Ontario alone, for example. We can safely predict that between 5% and 7% will be sold or will merge over the next few years.
- A huge majority of companies are owner operated; many of those owners are getting ready to retire
- Less than 5% of printing companies are publicly listed
- Only a few are held by American owners or investors
- The industry is top heavy. The largest 20 companies control more than 40% of revenues
- Most industry shops are located in Ontario (50% to 60%) and Quebec (20% to 30%)
- Toronto is the third-largest printing market in North America
- There are many specializations in the industry: commercial printing, digital (copy shops) label and package printing, large-format sign printing, trade houses, corrugated packaging; print brokers
- Exports account for just under 20% of the total Canadian sales
- Imports account for under 12% of the Canadian market